Saturday, February 09, 2008

hibernating

i can see why bears sleep thru the winter, in caves. don't get me wrong, there are moments that i love the winter wonderland, the dusting of sugar on the trees and rooftops. but lately, i would rather avoid the slush, snow banks, and black ice in favour of long stretches indoors. had a long uninterrupted sleep the other night and noticed the improvement. does this make me less Canadian? or maybe more? maybe we all kind of grin and bear our way thru the season, on snow days and on dry days, as best we can, without judgement.

2 comments:

Gallis said...

Oh right back atcha girlie. I've been fantasizing lately about being able to take a year off and not have to go out in the winter weather. In the pioneer days, this was their vacation time! I don't think we're meant to be out in this all the time. We have to fight against our natures all season long.

Deanna McFadden said...

We were away in Mexico for a time and I felt the best I have all year: slept better, ate better, enjoyed the weather, my body just loves the summer. Funny, then, considering my whole background are winter-loving people, how I turned out to be the one who wants all sunshine, all the time. But yes, hibernating like a bear all winter would be lovely.

Although, every now and again, I do enjoy cold, crisp winter air.